Cusco Guide #2: 10 things you must take to Machu Picchu
- Published on May 23, 2016 Experiences
- 6572 Views
The Imperial City of Cusco is one of the most visited tourist destinations around the world. Its natural beauty is accompanied by great fortresses and ancient buildings such as the Historical Sanctuary of Machu Picchu, Plaza de Armas (Main Square), San Blas, Sacsayhuamán, Coricancha, among others. In addition, it is the perfect setting for sports such as trekking and mountaineering. But, undoubtedly, visiting Machu Picchu, the world’s wonder, known as Old Mountain in Quechua, is still captivating thousands of local and foreign visitors who keep on getting around every corner built during Inca Pachacutec’s time.
Machu Picchu is known for its cultural value, millenary architecture, and stunning landscapes, which have a geography filled with mountains and endless green areas. For these reasons, we will make a list of some recommended items so you can make the best out of your stay in the Inca Citadel.
- Trekking clothes: This clothing will accelerate the traveler’s tour for the long journey to Imperial City ahead. It is advisable to use light clothes (t-shirts), pants, jacket and good mountain footwear that will allow us walking long tranches, avoiding any kind of accidents, especially during rainy weather when soil texture tends to change. Remember that it is very important to be as much comfortable as possible during the tour to Machu Picchu.
- Sunhat: It is very important for protecting the skin and especially in the face. A sunhat will help to protect us from solar rays and avoid a potential heatstroke. It should be taken into account that Machu Picchu has a subtropical climate: warm and wet. Plus, the exposure to the sun without a sunhat may cause troubles such as headaches and possible dizziness.
- Sunglasses: It is advisable to use sunglasses to protect our vision, considering that mornings in Machu Picchu are particularly sunny, proper sunglasses would avoid solar ray filtration and the consequences that this may cause.
- Compact backpack: It will provide convenience on the trip and will keep our hands free when carrying our personal items within it. Do not forget a change of clothes in case of any event.
- Insect repellent: Being located at the edge of the jungle, the route to Machu Picchu has green valleys, which are the habitat of many types of mosquitoes and insects. It is advisable to take an insect repellent bottle or sachet to avoid insect bites.
- Sunblock: This protective cream is necessary for skin care during sunny seasons. Its use avoids filtration of UVA and UVB radiation. The purpose is not to suffer heatstroke and fully enjoy the trip.
- Rain Protection: An important item for rainy days, taking into account that Machu Picchu is located at the edge of the jungle. It is advisable to use it, especially during the rainiest months from December to April.
- Camera: For capturing the best moments of this unforgettable adventure.
- Cash (soles): In order to avoid any setback, it is advisable that the local and foreign tourist has cash before setting off for Machu Picchu. It is necessary for purchasing the bus tickets, paying tourist guide fees and sanitary facilities for any events. Furthermore, you can also buy some Inca souvenirs in the town’s market if you have cash in Soles
- Water: Being hydrated all the time during the trip is essential to successfully finish the trip.
With this advice, you cannot miss this great adventure you will have in Machu Picchu. Wait no more and come to enjoy this wonder!